A better world, by girls
Now read it again. A better world…pause…by girls. When we launched our new vision in 2017 that comma became very important. That pause strategically elevates the importance of a girl to our world and our organization. The girl must be at the centre of everything we do.
Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) is searching for four to five (4-5) new Directors for our Board who can steward our staff, adult members and girls to fulfill this vision and our mission to be a catalyst for girls empowering girls. Through passionate and focused leadership, we can ensure GGC is relevant and sustainable well into the future as a truly girl-driven organization. Every girl in Canada deserves a safe space where she can discover herself to be everything she wants to be.
This is an exciting time to be part of our organization as we evolve our offering to ensure it is relevant and essential for girls in Canada today. Are you willing to lead this journey of ambitious transformational change?
What we need from you
We need Board members with passion, experience and commitment from diverse communities.
Experience – We know that delivering on our strategic priorities will require added skills and strengths from our new Directors to support our Leadership team in areas of:
- Influence in Indigenous, and underrepresented youth populations – You have experience working with diverse groups of youth, understand that differences are our strength and know how to attract target groups to action
- Financial Stewardship – You get the numbers, can position an organization for growth, love analysis and ensuring compliance
- Governance – Though you have worked at the operational level, you know the work Boards need to carry out and truly excel in the strategic space. You see the path needed to reach success.
- Country-wide change– Canada is big and change can be hard. Let us learn from your past successes in big change management endeavors
- COVID-19 recovery – You have knowledge of the impact COVID-19 has had on the not-for-profit sector and bring supportive insights, connections, and experience.
- Digital Transformation - You know technology and have delivered digital change to improve process and connectivity for large groups. We have over 100,000 members who need to stay connected, informed and supported.
Commitment – We need you to commit the time to be an active and impactful Director. At GGC, this means approximately 5-10 hours/week (sometimes more for larger portfolios) for a 3-year term from June 2021-June 2024. You must attend 4 to 5, two-day Board meetings and an Annual General Meeting (currently virtually) each year. Some travel may be required. You also must be willing to become a member and supporter of GGC.
Diversity – We are committed to ensuring that our Board reflects the richness of human diversity and the Canadian population. In addition to wide and varied skills, interests and experiences, we want a diverse Board with regard to race, ethnicity, age and lived-experiences. We seek to ensure that the decisions and directions from the Board as a whole consider all of the various perspectives necessary as the Board stewards GGC to be the place where every girl is empowered to be everything she wants to be.
Passion – We need believers and promoters of our vision, mission, brand DNA, value proposition and strategic priorities. Our direction has been set and it’s “go time” to steward and implement this plan for change.
What you get from us
Having a seat on the GGC Board is an opportunity to play an essential leadership role in an organization at a pivotal point in its 100+ year history. You will have the chance to govern and steward the transformation of Canada’s largest and oldest movement for girls and women as it undertakes profound change and maintains its momentum as it responds to the needs of girls across Canada.
You will become a catalyst for girls empowering girls to help them meet the most important person in their lives – themselves. With girls at the centre of our decision making, this is an opportunity to ensure that GGC is a safe space where every girl in Canada can have the voice and choice to be everything she wants to be.
So…can you see it now…a better world, by girls
How to Apply
If you have the passion, experience, commitment, and diversity to be an impactful member of our Board of Directors, please apply by April 14, 2021. The current open positions include:
- Director-Guiding Experience
- Director-International Commissioner
- Member-at-Large (x2)
View the Board recruitment package including position descriptions, governance structure, what being a member of GGC entails, our brand story, and annual report with audited financial statements.
Review, complete and submit your short online application and upload your cover letter and resume. Please note – for current or former members of GGC, your iMIS Guiding record will only be used to confirm that you are a member in good standing. If you gained relevant skills or experiences while volunteering with GGC, please include these in your application, cover letter, and resume as applicable, but remember we also want to know what you have done outside of Guiding.
The application form requires:
- Personal information – This includes optional questions around language fluency and diversity
- A skills and experience rating – Everyone has talents and strengths, so we need to know yours in order to ensure our Board is balanced and meets the needs of our organization. All experience counts (paid or volunteer).
- Two (2) personal strength statements – We want to know more about you, so tell us:
- About your personal brand. What are you known for among your colleagues, friends, family and community? What are the top talents that people associate with you? (max. 1000 characters)
- Why do you want to be at our Board of Directors’ table now? What is drawing you to our organization and what can we expect you to bring? (max. 1000 characters)
All applications will be reviewed by our Nominating Committee and selected candidates will be invited to an interview. The Nominating Committee will make recommendations for each open board position to the full Board in late June 2021 and they will vote on the candidates put forward at the June 2021 AGM.
Upon request, GGC is an equal opportunity employer and will make available reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process.
Thank you for your interest in GGC!
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com