Help take Guiding boldly into the future
Guiding is all about girls and women taking the lead and shaping our organization as one that reflects their interests and goals. In this brand new role, our Director-Guiding Experience will champion the delivery of high quality, dynamic girl and adult member experiences across the country – ensuring we not only grow, but thrive.
What will I do?
- Champion the delivery of programming that offers girls an unparalleled variety of opportunities, enriching experiences and challenges, and encourages them to make a difference
- Ensure adult members are well positioned to support girls and gain their own rewarding volunteer experiences through training, support and recognition
- Provide leadership to a team of provincial volunteers to ensure membership growth and development
- Act as a spokesperson and role model within the organization to inspire girl and adult members towards actions that reflect Guiding’s core values
- Represent national council at a wide variety of Guiding events – from girl conferences to provincial annual general meetings
- Oversee national member recognition and awards
Note: We will be engaging our membership in selecting a name that reflects the scope and energy of this new role – details on this engagement will be available in the coming weeks.
Who should apply?
This role is perfect for you if you:
- Are interested in taking your commitment to Guiding to the next level
- Thrive on meeting girl and adult members of Girl Guides of Canada from across the country – from a variety of backgrounds and Guiding experiences
- Are comfortable as a spokesperson and champion for Guiding
- Have the ability to work with teams of volunteers from across the country and national staff in a collaborative way, while maintaining a national perspective
- Are passionate about the values of inclusion and girl engagement
Your uniqueness is GGC’s strength. We strongly encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds.
Interested? Then complete the following steps:
- Review the formal position description below.
- Make sure to read the role description to check you meet the requirements.
- Complete the online application form
- Send any supporting documents for your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2017.
Complete the online Application Form and e-mail your resume to: Elissa Hermolin, Executive Assistant, Volunteer Recruitment at email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed by the Board of Directors’ Nominating Committee and a slate of candidates will be put forth for our national Annual General Meeting in June 2017.
If you have any questions, please email Elissa Hermolin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
FORMAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) enables girls to be confident, resourceful and courageous, and to make a difference in the world.
The Director-Guiding Experience will champion the delivery of a high quality, dynamic girl and adult member experience across the country and provide leadership through a team of Provincial Commissioners to ensure membership growth and development. She will be “the face of nation-wide Guiding” to membership in Canada and will champion and engage members on issues of relevance and importance to inspire action to achieve the Vision, Mission and strategic priorities.
As a Director of the Board, she will report to the Chair, and work with the Director of Provincial Operations and the Chief Executive Officer to deliver on her responsibilities.
The Director-Guiding Experience will:
- Champion membership growth and development through the enhancement of the quality of the member experience including program and program delivery via nation-wide collaboration and cooperation, ensuring relevant priorities and strategies are identified
- Ensure the review and revision of GGC programming assets to maintain relevance, innovation and girl-led as key elements of the member experience commitment described in the Value Proposition; champion the investment of resources required to assure dynamic programming excellence and major initiatives relevant to both girl and adult members and, motivate provincial Guiding to deliver on the member experience through well-trained and supported adult volunteers
- Act as a spokesperson and role model within the organization to motivate and inspire girl and adult members towards action consistent with GGC Values, through a variety of means including:
- Attendance/spokesperson at provincial/national girl events to inspire actions towards improving the communities and world we live in
- Engagements to support Board relations with provinces, either directly or through delegation to other Board Directors or the Director of Provincial Operations, such as (but not limited to):
- Attendance/spokesperson at provincial annual general meetings and events to provide key messages, including the installation of Provincial Commissioners
- Attendance/spokesperson at Provincial Council meetings to gather information and convey key decisions and messages
- Internal Member communications through social media and other methods
- External communications as assigned by the Chair
- Working directly with the Director of Provincial Operations, administer the appointment and termination processes for girl and adult members of GGC, pursuant to the Bylaws and policies, including Provincial Commissioner appointment, talent development and performance review
- Manage member recognition and awards at the national level
- Working with the Director of Provincial Operations and the Provincial Commissioners, ensure the implementation of GGC policies as approved.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
The Director-Guiding Experience should have expertise and broad experience, as follows:
- Consensus building and organizational development
- Strategic planning and delivery
- Communications, including media relations
- Ability to relate to members at all levels of the organization
- An understanding of the scope and breadth of GGC programs and activities
- Ability to speak and present the vision of the Movement publicly in a clear, articulate, credible and motivating way
- Ability to lead, inspire and manage volunteers and volunteer teams based in widespread geographical locations
- The ability to facilitate partnerships and collaboration
- Ability to coach and mentor team members, listening to, and acting on, feedback
- A willingness to champion the core values of inclusion and girl engagement
Additional Requirements as a Board Director:
- Ability to exercise critical, analytical, strategic thinking and decision making skills
- Ability to separate issues of governance from operational issues
- Ability to work with a nation-wide team and maintain a national perspective in consultations
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication, listening and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively via teleconference, email, and social media
- Strong writing skills
- The ability to see and appreciate issues in the context of the nation-wide picture
Must be a current member of GGC at time of application.
TERM OF OFFICE